Fluco Athletes Honored at Signing Day

November 29, 2018

• Jacob Critzer signing his letter of intent to play baseball at Lincoln Memorial University. Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism.

• Christina Walker after signing her letter of intent to play volleyball at George Mason University. Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism.

Friends, families, and coaches all gathered in the cafeteria on Nov. 14 to celebrate two Fluco athletes signing their letters of intent to continue their careers at the collegiate level.

Volleyball player Christina Walker was one of the athletes honored and she became one of the few students from Central Virginia to move on to play Division I volleyball.

“It’s going to be a big challenge, but I’m ready for that challenge,” Walker said. She signed her letter of intent to play college volleyball at George Mason University (GMU). Walker said she had been considering lower-level in-state volleyball programs, as well as  programs in New York and Pennsylvania. It was after touring GMU that she knew she wanted to play for the Patriots, and she committed to the school in April.
Walker was a standout kill shot for the Flucos and was first team All-District and All-Region, all while maintaining a 4.0 GPA. She said she spent “a lot of time dedicated to going to practice [and] working hard.” She admitted to pushing herself on the court, in the classroom, and in the weight room, and “just working hard to get stronger, mentally and physically.”

She was also named the Airflow Heating & Air Student Athlete of the Week on Nov. 30 for her performance on the court and in the classroom at Fluvanna.

At the ceremony Walker was joined by her parents, Tighe and Debbie Walker, as well as her older sister, Kayla, who also played volleyball for Fluvanna.

Baseball player Jacob Critzer was the second senior to sign his letter of intent to play  Division II baseball at Lincoln Memorial University (LMU) in rural Tennessee. He was accompanied by his parents, Chris and Brandy Critzer, and his younger brother, Charley, at the ceremony.

“I’ve always wanted to play baseball my whole life,” said Critzer. “I know that’s not possible, so I’d just like to play baseball for as long as I can.”
He was playing in a travel ball tournament in Tennessee this past summer when he was first approached by LMU coaches, and Critzer committed by the end of the summer. He said he liked that LMU’s “country style” atmosphere reminded him of Fluvanna.
Critzer was also first team All-District and All-Region. He played numerous positions for the Flucos and that may carry on to his career at LMU. He expects to be a designated hitter or at a corner infield spot, with the possibility of working at catcher.

However, Critzer has one main goal before starting his collegiate career. Last spring, the Fluvanna baseball team reached the state semifinals for the first time in school history and he wants to help the Flucos claim the title this year. “We just want to win States,” he said. “That’s all we’ve been thinking about since last year.”