Photo courtesy of Gabby Barber
Photo courtesy of Gabby Barber

Fourth Year, First Change

February 8, 2018

In 2014, teacher and coach Nick Ward established Fluvanna County High School’s own Special Education co-ed basketball team to compete in the Medford League. Three years later, the FCHS team has a new coach, Special Education teacher Taylor Aylor, and 17 enthusiastic players.

The season generally lasts from January to March and teams compete against each other twice, once at a home game and once at an away game. This year’s competitors include high schools in Amelia, Appomattox, Nelson, Buckingham, and Prince Edward counties.

Fluvanna’s first game of the 2018 season, which took place at FCHS on Feb. 1, was held in honor of Rashay “Shay” Hills, who always played for the Medford team at FCHS and passed away last month. According to Aylor, Hills will be remembered for always smiling and being a very “upbeat team-player.” Many students and staff at school on Feb. 1, as well as a number of spectators at the game, wore purple in Hills’ honor since it was her favorite color.

Hills graduated from Fluvanna County High School in 2015 and was an active member of her community at her church and the Lake Monticello Karate Academy. She first got interested in basketball when her brother, FCHS graduate Blake Hills, taught her how to throw a basketball.

Looking forward to their second game of the season on Feb. 8, the FCHS team hopes to continue Hills’ legacy of positive sportsmanship. “We are super excited about the season and are having such a fun time practicing with Mr. Watkins and our long bus rides,” said Aylor.
The following students are members of the FCHS Medford League team members: Marideth Hagood (#12), Peter Mance (#11), Nayeli Padilla (#30), Shantika Hawkins (#13), Euneka Booker (#10), Aaliyah Lewis (#31), Ka’Shawn Jackson (#20), Melissa Culver (#15), Justin Kraus (#33), Lizzie Williams (#1), Dalton McClurken (#14), Kelcie Edmunds (#35), Justin Jackson (#34), Victoria Noel (#2), D. W. Kirby (#4), Antwyon Wells (#40), and Alyssa Wilson (#3).