Jillian Davis

Saying “So Long” to Fluco Volleyball

November 9, 2022

Being a senior has many benefits, but can also be very sad especially when you are recognized through your sport. Regular season games with all fall sports at Fluvanna County High School are coming to an end, which most seniors have recognized. A senior night happens every single year for every sport, and each year the underclassmen come together and create a special night that every single senior and their families will remember.

The Fluvanna County High School Volleyball team seniors were recognized this year on October 18, 2022. Three seniors have found some closure. “I received closure with some of the people I have grown up with and seeing everyone succeed and accomplish things,” said Sierra Krett. Krett has been in this program for two of her years here at FCHS. She is now committed to Mary Baldwin to continue her Volleyball career and her education. Another senior expressed her feelings for her love for volleyball by stating, “While it was sad to realize that these were our last moments in the program, I think it was good to be able to ‘go out with a bang’ and realize that it wasn’t a sad thing, it was a celebration,” said Kayla Gentry. On this night Fluvanna swept Orange County by winning all three sets. So aside from the senior night, it was another great win for their journey to regionals.

Playing a competitive game right after an emotional setback can be very challenging, however, the team stuck together and pulled through for a win. Gentry has been in the FCHS volleyball program since she was in 8th grade. In this game, she said, “I played the game like it was my last. Even though we didn’t play the most challenging team, I played my heart out and left it all on the court.” Another senior Faith Shields has also been playing since she was in 8th grade. Shields is committed to Bridgewater College to continue her volleyball career and education. During the senior night game, she hit 2,000 assists. This achievement was a very positive thing for her and her future. She expressed how she felt by saying, “ It felt so amazing to not only hit 2,000 assists but be the second player in Fluvanna history to hit 2,000. I got to celebrate the game with some of my closest friends, celebrate the hard work I have put in over the many years, and celebrate the things that I have to look forward to in the future.”

Having senior nights allows seniors to feel appreciated for all of their hard work and dedication since it is not always shown. Another senior brought her input on how she felt, she states, “Senior night made things feel real, the realization that this is my last season with these girls really hit home,” Shelby Crawford states. Crawford has been with the program since her freshman year. Each of these girls has grown up together and found their individual love for each other and this game. Gentry also states, “It made me appreciate the little moments and not take for granted the games to come.” Every sport has its challenges and happy moments, but having this night to appreciate the students graduating can make it all worth it.