Picture credit: @studyhallxyz on Twitter

The ABC’s of After School Study Hall

October 14, 2022

Having trouble passing a class or looking for ways to raise your grade? Signing up for After School Study Hall is a great way to catch up with work or excel in classes.

The After School Study Hall program was first announced by Assistant Principal Chad White at the start of September. The idea of study hall is to help students who are struggling with any sort of subject in school. “After School Study Hall gives students the opportunity to get extra help in classes they are struggling with. Students also have the opportunity to get ahead in classes, if they want to stay and work independently,” said White.

White said he and the rest of the Administration staff started the program because they saw a need. “Students were already struggling with lost instruction due to the pandemic. Students were trying to play ‘catch up’ while staying current in their classes,” he said. His hope is that with the extra help, students will be struggling less in classes and will do better in those classes where they need a little extra help.

How does it work? “Students are dispersed into different classrooms based on subject needs. If students are staying after to get help in English, they are assigned to an English teacher’s class. If they need help in Math, they are assigned to a Math teacher’s class, etc. If a student is working independently they stay in the library with a teacher who supervises them,” White said.

Any student is eligible to sign up for the study hall program. “If you are a student who is looking to excel in your classes, but you have hit a ‘bump in the road’ or if you are a student who is looking to excel in your classes and you want to ‘keep that momentum’ going, but it’s hard to motivate yourself when you get home, take advantage of our After School Study Hall. You’ll be glad you did,” White said.

Study Hall is available Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:45 to 5:00 pm. Students need parent permission to attend, which they can do by filling out this form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd7fUY8KLUpqVZYvz04khRiUbDYLXBJF-9Kdp3hTOF9F6RejA/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0

Parents and guardians only need to complete the form once for each child who will attend. Once a parent/guardian completes the form by 3:00 pm, their child can attend the next available session and the following sessions. The cut off time to complete this permission slip each day is 3:00 pm. All form submissions completed after 3:00 pm will attend the next after school session.