Posthumously Inspiring Creativity

Groupon

Photo courtesy of www.groupon.com under Creative Commons License.

A teacher’s lessons may live on even after they’re gone. Dixie Harden is a great example of that. Born in 1943 in Iowa, Harden spent her free time traveling the country as a painting teacher, spreading joy around the country and inspiring creativity all around. Even after her recent passing, Harden is still benefiting budding artists.

In late January, FCHS Librarian Lisa Lucas was called to receive a delivery, and in this delivery were some art supplies generously donated to FCHS by Harden’s family in her memory. On Jan. 28, these supplies, including brand new paintbrushes and stretched canvases, made their way to the art department where they are being put to good use.  

According to art teacher Michelle Coleman, the art department almost always goes over budget when purchasing supplies, to the point where teachers like herself have to pay for supplies out of their own pockets. “I had just placed this order for a bunch of canvasses for our classroom. I got the donation and cancelled my order and was able to spend the money on something else that we also needed,” Coleman said.

When Harden passed away, her family thought it would be a great idea to donate her art supplies to help keep the spirit of innovativeness alive and help out the FCHS art department.

The Harden family’s donation goes to show that even after a person is gone, they can still benefit those around them, and spread positivity and inspiration to those around them.