Jane Ford and members of the SGA at the benefit dinner for Ford and her family on Feb, 4. Photo courtesy of David Small. (David Small)
Jane Ford and members of the SGA at the benefit dinner for Ford and her family on Feb, 4. Photo courtesy of David Small.

David Small

Flucos Fundraising for Ford

February 28, 2019

Many in the Fluco community were shocked in January when the news spread that the house of long-time FCHS teacher Jane Ford had burned down. Ford has served the community and taught at Fluvanna for nearly 50 years, so many in the community thought it was high time to give back.

The Student Government Association (SGA) spearheaded the efforts to fundraise for Ford and her husband. They set up donation jars at local businesses like Sugar & Salt, Dogwood, EW Thomas, and Jefferson Pharmacy, as well as at the Fluvanna Library. SGA also provided for a benefit dinner that took place in the FCHS Cafeteria after school on Feb. 4.

All Fluvanna schools were given donation jars as well. “We asked for donations from students in the form of hearts they could sign in the cafeteria. We put those hearts around the classroom for [Ford] when she got back,” said SGA President Sadie Conner.

SGA raised over $1,800 at the benefit dinner and raised over $5,600 within the county’s schools. In addition, Ford will be given two checks from county members that total $100.

FCHS’s BETA club also took part in fundraising. The sales from their BETA t-shirts are being donated to Ford, and they plan on holding fundraisers in the future to further contribute to the cause.

Since the fire, Ford and her husband have been living at the Best Western at Zion Crossroads. She said hotel life has been interesting, but that “[Best Western] is very accommodating.” Both she and her husband take advantage of the hotel’s free continental breakfast every morning, and that they are grateful for the hotel’s fantastic service.

Ford is completely rebuilding her home. It is going to be in the same location and have the same square footage. A local contractor has already started construction, but Ford is unsure of the completion date.

She was amazed at the outreach from the community and both she and her husband are very thankful for the support. “[The school and community] are just phenomenal,” Ford said. She has received gift cards, food, clothes, phone calls, emails, and visits from people all over the community.

Ford was also blown away by SGA’s benefit dinner, saying it was the nicest thing to have ever been done for her family. “This is Fluvanna, and this is what we do. It’s very nice to be very well-loved,” said Ford.

• SGA members senior Sadie Conner (left), junior Mackenzie Moore. senior Gabby Goodwin (right), and senior Sam Marshall (far right) enjoying a break at the benefit dinner for Ford and her family on Feb. 4.

• SGA member junior Maggie Wentz at the refreshment table at the benefit dinner for Ford and her family on Feb. 4.

• SGA members senior Sadie Conner (left), senior Gabby Goodwin (middle), and junior Mackenzie Moore (right) working at the refreshment table to fill guests’ plates at the benefit dinner for Ford and her family on Feb. 4.

• SGA members senior Sam Childs (left), junior Maggie Wentz (middle), and senior Olivia Strickland (right) working at the refreshment table at the benefit dinner for Ford and her family on Feb. 4. Photo courtesy of David Small.