Journalism Receives Two VHSL Awards

November 28, 2017

2017 Yearbook editors Michelle Hammond (left), Madison Stafford (middle), and Grace Halpin (right) and the 2017 Literary Magazine editors Syerra Milliman (left), Emily Antesberger (middle), and Christina Walker (right). 
Photos courtesy of Mallory Berry and Blake Berry

2017 Yearbook editors Michelle Hammond (left), Madison Stafford (middle), and Grace Halpin (right) and the 2017 Literary Magazine editors Syerra Milliman (left), Emily Antesberger (middle), and Christina Walker (right). Photos courtesy of Mallory Berry and Blake Berry

The FCHS Journalism team recently received a Second Class award from the Virginia High School League (VHSL) for their 2017 FCHS Yearbook “Make Your Mark.” The 2017 Yearbook staff included editors Madison Stafford, Michelle Hammond, and Grace Halpin.

“Being an editor was very rewarding,” said Stafford, “it gave me a new perspective on how to be a leader and communicate with people.”

The Journalism team is currently at work on their 2018 book, which has the theme “Connected/Disconnected.” Over 30 students in Elizabeth Pellicane’s Journalism classes work on the book under the direction of 2018 editors Mallory Berry and Denise Fierro.

VHSL also awarded the 2017 FCHS Literary Magazine “Undefined” with a Second Class award. The magazine was designed and published with the help of the Literary Magazine Club and editors Emily Antesberger, Syerra Milliman, and Christina Walker.

“It amazes me how many talented students there are in the school. Working with other members of the club to put together this mashup of talent is something I’ll never forget and I hope to see similar results this year,” said Antesberger.

Sponsored by Pellicane, the Literary Magazine Club meets the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month during Fluco Focus. Students do not need to be members of the club to submit work for consideration in the magazine, but may email prose, poetry, and artwork to [email protected] by Feb. 1.