Photo Courtesy of Sage Gibson

Photo Courtesy of Sage Gibson

Should Teens Get Tattoos?

April 21, 2023

As a teenager, all you want to do is find yourself and realize what makes you happy and comfortable. This can include experimenting and trying things like sports, wearing different clothes or makeup, and considering permanent things like tattoos. To see what you like can be hard sometimes.

But teenagers should try to find themselves by going outside their comfort zones. One very bold and life-changing thing to do is get a tattoo. Whether or not to get one can be a very controversial topic, even for adults, since tattoos are more or less permanent and kids don’t always think about the bigger picture. Oftentimes, people have gotten tattoos without thinking it through, and later regretted it.

Getting a tattoo is something about which many individuals have an opinion. “At a certain age, yes, if they are passionate about the tattoo, go for it,” said FCHS senior Asiana Hawkins.

“I think that teenagers should get tattoos. It is a very important part of life and it is very fulfilling and freeing. It is a sign of you getting older and maturing,” said senior Aniya Washington.

If you do decide to get a tattoo, research is key to finding a design that not only fits you now, but that you will still like in the future. Teenagers should learn to make adult decisions and thoroughly think of all pros and cons before taking such a permanent step.

Tattoos are an investment that you may want to save for, as they can be expensive. A small to average-sized tattoo ranges from $50- $100, a medium-sized tattoo can cost up to $200, while a large one can cost $250 or more. Different tattoo parlors charge differently depending on a tattoo’s color, size, and amount of detail.

When you are ready to make a leap and get the tattoo, do some research on the tattoo parlor first. A place that charges less may be more likely to have poor cleanliness standatrds. For example, if you want a medium-sized tattoo and you’re quoted only $80, you might want to do more research and check the reviews on that parlor.

It’s also important to learn about possible infections and health concerns before you get a tattoo. Keeping the area clean is extremely important if you don’t want anything to get infected or contaminated. After getting a tattoo, WebMD advises people to gently wash the tattoo with antibacterial soap and water and be sure to pat dry, apply a layer of antibacteria or Vaseline ointment twice a day, and keep applying moisturizer or ointment after you clean it to keep it moist.

In order to get a tattoo under eighteen, you will need parental consent, and getting that may be challenging. Generally, parents are wary about their kids getting tattoos and piercings. It depends on the parent.

“I’m not a fan of tattoos. I think people need to think hard about the fact that they are putting something permanent on their body. Yes, it is possible to get them removed later on, but I hear it is really expensive and takes a lot of time. But if it’s something a person really wants to do, there’s nothing wrong with it,” said FCHS teacher Elizabeth Pellicane.

Being utterly certain about the tattoo you want is important, so get something that you love and that expresses your true self. If you come to regret your tattoo, tattoo removal may become an option. However, the removal process can be quite painful and lengthy and may include laser surgery, surgical excision, dermabrasion, chemical peel, and tattoo removal creams.

According to The Cleveland Clinic, lasers are focused beams of light directed onto your skin. Lasers heat up the ink particles in your skin to break them into smaller particles, which are easier for your immune system to remove. It can take multiple laser therapy sessions to remove a tattoo.

Another tattoo removal method, dermabBrasions are similar, but a surgical excision is a one-time procedure. After removal, the area is stitched and the tattoo is completely removed. This is better for small tattoos; large ones will not work with this procedure.

The mildest method, using a tattoo removal cream, is not as successful as other removal procedures. It is for at-home use where you rub the cream on the unwanted tattoo. These creams work slowly and may take up to several months to see results.

For more information about getting a tattoo, check out these sites:

Benefits of getting a tattoo

Benefits of Getting a Tattoo

Tattoos: Understanding risks and precautions