Life On a Travel Team During Covid

December 2, 2020

Photo provided by Taegan Chisholm

The author (left) after a her team won a tournament this year.

In the midst of Covid, social distancing, virtual/hybrid learning, and all the things that have gone along with this pandemic, I am glad to have had the opportunity to be able to play sports. Although it is different from the normal, I haven’t taken one second for granted and neither should you.

Since I play travel softball and it is outside, it is not as bad as it would be if it were an indoor sport. There are only a couple things that have changed for my team during Covid based on where and what kind of tournament that we are playing in, and depending on what the rules are.

The biggest caution is playing out of state and what that state’s rules are. My team had a tournament in North Carolina and you had to wear a mask everywhere but the field. In comparison, when we play locally, the director is usually is not so strict about masks.

Some really frustrating things about some tournaments has been that we are not allowed to use our own balls. At the beginning of the weekend they give us about 6 balls to use. This has mostly affected our warm-up time and minimized the kind of drills we we’ve wanted to do before games. Sometimes before games my coach and I would do blocking warm ups and bunting, but when we only got a couple of balls, it made it difficult for us, as well as the rest of my teammates to focus on what we wanted.

One thing that I do like about the current rules is the amount of people that are allowed to attend tournaments. Since there are not supposed to be a lot of people in one group, it has made the tournaments less crowded and not so chaotic. Personally, I really like the fact that there are not so many people at the tournaments anymore.

Although these Covid restrictions are not terrible, they still make softball different. During most tournaments we are not allowed to eat sunflower seeds, something we’ve always done. I know it may sounld very stupid to complain about that, they are a good tradition in the game, and all my fellow softball players know how addicting they can get during a game. Even though not being able to have and share them is not the worst rule, it is just one more change that hurts a little extra.

All in all, however, these Covid restrictions are not terrible, and honestly, I’m still grateful that my season didn’t get canceled. I pray that everything goes back to normal for everyone and that athletes are getting the chance that I have had, playing the sports we love.