A refreshment table at the Breast Cancer Walk. Photo courtesy of Fluco Journalism. (FCHS Journalism)
A refreshment table at the Breast Cancer Walk. Photo courtesy of Fluco Journalism.

FCHS Journalism

Flucos Celebrate 9 Years of Breast Cancer Awareness

November 1, 2018

The annual Breast Cancer Walk returned to FCHS for its 9th year on Oct. 25, introducing new additions to bring life to the event. Organized by the FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) club under the direction of teachers Christine Kreitzman and Linda Harding, this year’s walk included the main event, the walk around the track, as well as new elements. Specifically, this year’s event featured music, multiple food options, and students passing a football around.

Approximately 275 tickets to the walk were sold to students and staff. The fundraising total for this year’s event–the 9th annual walk– was nearly $600 thanks to ticket sales, a bake sale from culinary students, and “cancer sux” lollipops from nursing students.

Of the money raised, half will be going to the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation in Richmond, while the other half will be going to Project ASK, a program for helping children with cancer and their families, which is associated with VCU.

With the success of previous years, Kreitzman is very proud of the FBLA students and is excited about the new additions. “One of the nursing students, Diana  Naselska, was there with blood pressure information and selling “cancer sux” lollipops…[The Walk] is a great time for the kids to get out and get fresh air and socialize,” she said.

• Breast Cancer Walk photos courtesy of Fluco Journalism