More FCHS Scholarship Opportunities

March 27, 2018

The United States alone has $1.48 billion dollars of debt in student loans. This number is quickly climbing due to the constant increase in overall college costs, and the massive amount of Americans attending college every year. The average American will have to pay around $350 every month until their student loans are finally paid off.

So how can you avoid these vicious costs and debt?

One alternative is scholarships, which provide students with money for college by completing certain requirements.

FCHS has recently posted even more scholarship opportunities for students. Following are the dates and basic information.

• Armenian Education Center: This is an essay-based scholarship for all students and is worth $1,000 – DEADLINE APRIL 9
  • Fluvanna County Chamber of Commerce Scholarships: SEE OR EMAIL MS. GARRETT FOR APPLICATIONS – DEADLINE APRIL 9
  • Bill Hughes Memorial Scholarship:  for students who exemplify kindness, leadership, and a willingness to challenge themselves. Two $500 scholarships are available.
  • Chamber/Papa Johns Schaff Enterprises Scholarship. For students who are passionately involved in their community and strive for excellence – Two $500 scholarships are available.
  • Effort Church Glass Slipper Scholarship for female students attending PVCC or a trade school in the fall: One $750 scholarship – DEADLINE APRIL 9
  • Pearlie R. Askew Scholarship for African American students: One $500 scholarship – DEADLINE APRIL 12
  • Wills Boots Scholarship for students continuing their education: One $1,500 scholarship – DEADLINE APRIL 18
  • Fork Union Order of the Eastern Star Scholarship: For seniors who demonstrate academic promise and financial need – One $500 scholarship – DEADLINE APRIL 27
  • Fluvanna Farm Bureau Scholarship; For students who show outstanding community and agribusiness achievement. One $1,000 scholarship – DEADLINE MAY 1

For more information or if you have any questions about the scholarships, visit http://flucoguidance.weebly.com/, or go to the Counseling Office  to speak with school counselor Meghan Garrett.