New Year, New Coach

New Football Coach and PE Teacher Joshua Wallace. Photo courtesy of Kenzie Herring.

Last month, Fluvanna County High School welcomed a new football coach, Joshua Wallace. Not only will Wallace be taking the helm of the FCHS football program, but he will also be joining the staff as a health and PE teacher. Wallace most recently served as the Head Coach at Buckingham County High School for two years.

Wallace graduated from Liberty University where he played football and received his Bachelor of Science degree in Health and Physical Education. Later on, he earned his Associates degree in General Studies at Glendale Community College in Glendale, Arizona, where he also played football. After graduating, he began his coaching career at Virginia Episcopal School in Lynchburg as the Head Strength and Assistant Football Coach. He has also continued his career as a teacher and football coach at several other public schools, including Danville Public Schools, Capital High School, Northampton-West High School, and Petersburg High School.

While serving as the Head Coach at Buckingham, Wallace transformed the team’s record from 2-8 to a winning season, then helped the Knights earn a four game winning streak and had four different players rush more than 100 yards in a game. Under his leadership, the team had a final record of 7-13 after ending with a victory against Cumberland scoring a total of 84 points.

Taking over the FCHS football team from Steve Szarmach, Wallace is hoping to make a change in the Flucos’ fortunes since Fluvanna has not made the playoffs since 2000 and had a record of 3-27 in the past three seasons. “I believe he is going to do well this year. I really think he is going to make a change for the better,” said junior Jon McDaniel, who played the position of strong safety this past year. Recently interviewed by NBC29, Wallace said, “I think the biggest thing is just showing the young that you care about them. If you can show them that you care about them, it’s going to go a long way. We’ll be here for them and that’s what counts.”

Even though many feel that FCHS is losing a beloved coach in Szarmach, the hope is that Wallace will be able to bring a positive change to the team by showing them new plays, skills, and strategies on the field. “He has the energy and will-power to bring success to our football program. I’m excited to see the direction we will go because I think the possibilities are endless,” said FCHS Athletic Director Scott Morris.