Tess McCormick, Ashlee Pieno, Christiina Walker, and Emily Sprouse perform an experiment in Carolynne Hagan’s Honors Chemistry class. Photo courtesy of Fluco Journalism

FCHS Opens Its Doors to Aspiring Students

January 30, 2018

The Third Annual CTE Open House Night is Feb. 8th. This event allows interested visitors to learn more about Career and Technical Education (CTE). The open house lets members of the community explore the high school, speak to teachers and students, and learn about the wide variety of opportunities available at FCHS in the important field of CTE, which focuses on science, technology, engineering, and math careers.

Visitors will have the opportunity to visit CTE specific classrooms, meet staff members, and take a look at the state-of-the-art equipment used by students in these programs. The tours are led by CTE students who will share important information about the courses offered and industry credentials, and respond to questions related to “R U College and Career Ready?”

There are various CTE programs, but some include: Health and Medical Sciences, Cosmetology and Barbering, Agriculture, Carpentry, Television Production, Engineering, Computer Science, Business and Information Systems, Culinary Arts, Teacher Cadet, and Marketing.

The event is being held on Feb. 8th at 5:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium. Tours end around 8:00 p.m. After the tours, pizza will be served to all the participants and there will be a drawing for prizes, including items made by students in the CTE programs, certificates for Fluco Gear, and four Asus tablets.

For more information about Fluvanna County Public Schools’ CTE program, contact Brenda Gilliam, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, at [email protected].