Staff Member of the Month: Angie Blevins

January 24, 2018

Photo courtesy of Syerra Milliman

Photo courtesy of Syerra Milliman

Photo courtesy of Syerra Milliman

FCHS’s Staff Member of the Month for January is Angie Blevins. She has taught for 24 years and been an administrator for three, spending 21 years at Fluvanna.

Blevins said tutoring her friends in math during high school was what made her want to become a teacher. “I have wanted to teach since the 10th grade in high school. As a senior in high school, I actually got asked to teach classes when the teachers were absent,” she said.

She graduated from Mary Washington with a Bachelors in Mathematics and from Old Dominion University with a Masters in Education Administration.

When asked why she wanted to become a math teacher, Blevins said “math was difficult for me in middle school. During high school, something clicked and I learned to love math. Having difficulties with math during middle school made me understand what students are feeling when they have trouble in math, so I was better able to help them.

She taught math at both FCHS and Madison County Middle School, but has been working at FCHS as an administrator for the past three years. She said she became an administrator because she “had the desire to help more students than what [she] could help in the classroom.” She keeps track of all the students at FCHS and offers help where it is needed.

Blevins enjoys a variety of activities outside of school such as reading, gardening, sewing, and exercising. She has four children, including two daughters and two sons.