Mr. Jennings with Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe. Photo courtesy of Brenda Gilliam

Russell Jennings Named 2018 Region V Teacher of the Year

September 26, 2017

FCHS teacher Russell Jennings has been named the 2018 Region V Teacher of the Year. This is the first time a Fluvanna teacher has been chosen as the Regional V winner and the seventh year that Fluvanna County Public Schools has recognized a “Teacher of the Year.”

“I am very proud of Mr. Jennings for this well-deserved award. His daily actions in the classroom truly define what it means to be an educator. His work ethic and willingness to be creative within the agriculture classroom provides our students with the opportunity to be part of something special,” said Superintendent Chuck Winkler.

School divisions in each of the state’s eight superintendents regions nominate candidates to receive the Region V Teacher of the Year award. The candidates submitted portfolios highlighting their accomplishments, education philosophies and community activities.

A panel of classroom teachers, representatives of professional and educational associations, the business community, and the 2017 Virginia Teacher of the Year reviewed the portfolios and selected the eight regional teachers of the year. The same panel interviewed those winners to choose the 2018 Virginia Teacher of the Year, which was announced on Sept. 18 at the Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond.  

Although Jennings did not win the Region V award, he had a number of co-workers who traveled to the event to support him, including FCHS Principal James Barlow and teachers Terrie Wood, Aaron Grubbs, and Barbra Black.

Jennings received his Associate’s degree from New River Community College and a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture Education from Virginia Polytechnic and State University.

He has been teaching for 17 years. He spent the last four years at Fluvanna and previously taught Agriculture at Louisa County High School.

When FCHS reinstated their agriculture program in 2013, the school brought Jennings on board to help revive the agriculture program. He brought back the Future Farmers of America (FFA) student organization and has chaperoned trips to the FFA National Convention.

Married to FCHS English Teacher Ann Jennings, Russell can often be found at the high school on nights and weekends making apple butter, demonstrating the process of making sauerkraut, and conducting plant sales in the greenhouse.

Jennings is involved in a number of organizations including the Virginia Association of Agriculture Educators, the Free Masons, and the Knight of Columbus. He is also the owner of Jennings Christmas Tree Lot.