Photo courtesy of disneyplus.com

Hocus Pocus 2: Magic for the Whole Family

November 22, 2022

The original 1993 film “Hocus Pocus” was a Halloween hit that is still fondly remembered by many teens with its plot about the Sanderson Sisters, child-hungry witches who burst on the scene with mayhem in mind. So when “Hocus Pocus 2” was released on Sept. 30, many viewers welcomed another chance to get into the Halloween spirit. They won’t be disappointed.

The sequel is set in a more modern world than the original. As a child, a man who now runs a magic and potion store in Salem secretly saw the Sanderson sisters (returning actresses Sarah Jessica Parker, Bette Midler, and Kathy Najimy) disappear after the night of Halloween. The man continues the witches’ legacy by sharing their story every Halloween, but through a series of events, accidentally brings the witchy women back to life, with unforeseen consequences that include magic, campiness, and song, as well as hints of the Sanderson sisters’ past lives to show how they became witches.

I highly enjoyed this movie compared to the first Hocus Pocus. The creators did an incredible job with adding vivid color, fun music, and an adventurous theme. The one thing I did dislike was how the movie presented the Sanderson sisters’ past lives. I thought that having that chunk of time where the movie only showed high school students and their Halloween traditions was a bit boring. I would’ve liked to see a better explanation of how Winifred, Mary, and Sarah Sanderson become witches.

Still, I enjoyed how the movie incorporated the thrill of magic, comedy, and adventure. It had me excited and on the edge of my seat as I anticipated what would happen next. Fans of the first film will enjoy how they incorporate many details from the original Hocus Pocus movie, as well as how the plot uses the modern world to its advantage. For example, instead of using standard brooms to weave their magic, the sisters now use household items such as a Swiffer mop and robotic vacuums.

The movie is made to appeal to all ages, a major bonus for me. Children will enjoy scenes such as the Sanderson sisters singing and being silly, while older viewers will enjoy the humor and minor jump scares here and there. While no longer out in theatres, it is available to view on Disney+, and with luck, will be available for purchase by Christmas.

I would overall rate this movie a 9 out of 10. It truly was the perfect movie to watch during the spooky season, and beyond.