Raya and the Last Dragon: a Refreshing Disney Tale

Are you looking for a new movie with a detailed computer animation to watch? Raya and The Last Dragon is a fantasy tale about unity and trust. With captivating animation, intense action scenes, unique characters and unity of foes, this Disney computer animated film has everything to offer.

Prior to the main events in the story, dragons and humans had once lived in harmony across the lands. A sinister force known as the Druun, which can turn anything it touches into stone, appeared and drove the dragons to use their magical powers and save humanity from destruction. Their sacrifice stopped the Druun and turned everyone who was stone back to normal.

When the Druun pops back up 500 years later, the story follows Raya, a young woman on a quest to find the last rumored dragon alive, so it can stop the Druun once again. Along the way, she makes many friends that help her along her journey, including an adorable animal sidekick named Tuk Tuk. Tuk Tuk is a furry, armadillo-like creature that helps her and keeps her company before she makes allies.

This movie offers a creative storyline that draws in watchers, no matter the age. Children especially will love the film as it has imaginary elements that enhance the storyline. With an uncomplicated story, I found it quite easy to predict what was going to happen next. With Eastern-based elements, Raya and The Last Dragon offers a lot to feast your eyes on.

One negative is that the storyline does move quite fast, not allowing for much emotional attachment to form to any characters. With such a fast-paced movie, there isn’t much character development for most of the side characters, with the exception of a few instances shown in the film. There are some noticeable plot holes, but as a movie centered for a younger audience, it wouldn’t be an issue for younger watchers. I wouldn’t say it is compelling of a story such as Frozen or Moana, but it offered a strong female lead as the other two movies did.

Overall, I would say it was a good movie. I personally would not be likely to watch it again as it didn’t offer the enchanting tale that some Disney movies have to offer. It is a good watch for anyone who enjoys action-packed, Disney animated films. With several voice actors who aren’t well known, it is a good work to showcase their talents. Raya and The Last Dragon is available to stream on Disney+ or to watch in person in select movie theaters. I would give it a 6/10 as it had wonderful animation but not much time for character development.