Clouds: Living Life Through Cancer

January 12, 2021

Clouds is one big emotional rollercoaster of a movie that you just cannot stop watching once you start. Clouds is set in the fall of 2012 about a real boy named Zach Sobiech. This based-on-a-true-story movie goes through Zach’s battle with osteosarcoma and how he makes the best of life while staring death in the face. Although this movie made me sad, there are plenty of parts that will leave you crying with joy.

Through the movie you get to see Zach, a budding songwriter, as he and his best friend Sammy Brown write the song “Clouds,” the song that brings awareness not only of Zach’s songwriting ability (which became popular through YouTube) but also the terrible illness he is dealing with. It is this song, and Zach’s decision to continue on in the face of terrible odds, that enables Zach to live out his dreams and become the person he wants to be.

One of my favorite parts of the movie is getting to see Zach grow as a person and deciding what legacy he wants to leave behind. Throughout the movie it really shows how Zach is handling the illness and the way it affects him. Once Zach comes to terms with who he is and how to spend whatever time he has left, it makes you realize you can do the same. Just getting to learn his story could really be an eye-opener for those who struggle with what they want to do. It really gets you asking yourself, “What do I want out of life?”

There is nothing that I can really point out in the movie that I truly didn’t like. If there was something I could complain about, it would be that I wish it showed more of his relationships with his peers and some of his family. The acting was done very well by Fin Argus (Zach Sobiech) and Sabrina Carpenter (Sammy Brown)

Overall, I would rate this movie 4 clouds out of 5. If you’re interested in watching Clouds, be sure to check it out on Disney+. Clouds is rated PG-13 since there is some strong language, so be prepared for that.