Annabelle Conjures Lots of Scares

August 30, 2017

The last month had been a slow run at the box office, with many films disappointing both audiences and reviewers. But the weekend of Aug. 11 changed that by bringing out horror fans to see Annabelle: Creation. Audiences flocked to the movie theater to see this new chapter in the very successful Conjuring universe, cashing in over $35 million at the box office and making it one of the biggest opening weekends for a horror film in 2017.

The events in this film happen before those of The Conjuring, as well as its first prequel, Annabelle, so this new film serves as a prequel to both films. Set in 1943, dollmaker Sam Mullins and his wife Esther lose their young daughter, named Annabelle, in a tragic car accident. Twelve years later, a nun and six girls are left homeless after their orphanage is shut down, and the Mullins welcome them to their California farmhouse. Soon after, one of the orphan girls find a seemingly innocent-looking doll, created by Sam Mullins, which had been locked away in Annabelle’s former room. Finding the doll unleashes a demonic presence and brings sheer terror upon the Mullin’s home and all those in it.

Despite being a horror movie buff, upon first hearing of this movie I was a little worried. The Conjuring and The Conjuring 2 are two of my favorite horror films, and some of the best to come out the last decade. However, when Annabelle–a prequel/spin-off of the doll character–  was released it was a disappointment. Luckily, Annabelle: Creation surpasses Annabelle in every way.

With some past horror titles being released this year like Rings (a fairly-disappointing sequel to the movie The Ring), and The Bye Bye Man (a garbage film filled with cheap scares), Annabelle: Creation is easily the best film of the genre to come out thus far in 2017. Like the past entries in the Conjuring universe, it gives off a very creepy, eerie vibe right from the opening shot, and continues until the end credits begin to roll. After the 80’s, “jump-scares” in horror films turned into a pretty cheap attempt at scaring audiences, and while this movie does have such moments, they’re kept to a reasonable amount. The acting is some of the best of any horror movie to come out in a while, even among the child actors.

The film meanders at a somewhat slow pace in the first half, building tension and suspense, yet it doesn’t drag. The film as a whole really does pay off well in the end, filled with frightening visuals, an unsettling soundtrack, and unexpected plot twists. Another thing I enjoyed is that, unlike a lot of other horror films, this one actually makes you care about the characters and what happens to them, especially with the two lead characters.

Annabelle: Creation succeeded in doing what Annabelle failed to do, captivating the audience, giving off some great scares, and overall, just being a well-made horror film, although I’d still rate The Conjuring 2 as my favorite of the series. Annabelle: Creation is another fantastic entry in this series, and after seeing it, my excitement skyrocketed for future installments in the series.

Overall, I give Annabelle: Creation 9.5 out of 10 stars.