The Student News Site of Fluvanna County High School
image+courtesy+of+iEfimerida+%28iefimerida.gr+website%29

image courtesy of iEfimerida (iefimerida.gr website)

Snapchat is the Most Popular Social Media Platform at FCHS

November 28, 2022

Don't Forget to Leave a Like

According to the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychology, some 90% of teens ages 13-17 have used social media.

Social media has been increasing in importance for many years, ever since the very first social media platform, LunarStorm, was created in 1996. Some of the most popular platforms include Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, and Twitter. TikTok is the most popular among the young, with 47.4% of users are under the age of thirty.

The revenue these apps generate is astonishing. Across the globe, social media generates approximately $153 billion in 2023. According to Zippia.com, that number is estimated to rise to $250 billion by 2026. Per year, TikTok generates an average of $11 billion, and Instagram makes $24 billion, while YouTube makes nearly $29 billion. As for Facebook, it brings in a whopping $86 billion per year thanks to ad revenue generated from its 3 billion MAU (monthly active users). In comparison, Twitter has about 217 million MAU, and TikTok has 1 billion MAU.

What platform is popular among teens? YouTube tops the 2022 teen online landscape, being used by 95% of teens. YouTube has about 2.2 billion active users a month. According to Pew Research, 19% of teens say they use YouTube “almost constantly.”

Nearly 60% of teens use Snapchat, making it the third most popular social media platform among teens. “I use Snapchat so I can talk to my friends and have group chats with them,” said FCHS 8th grader Cash Johnson. “The reason Snapchat is my favorite is because it has so many features like [how] you can make your bitmoji or avatar look like you,” said Johnson, who said he also likes how it allows users to post pictures and videos.

The platform that most FCHS students seem to prefer is Snapchat. A recent poll by @ flucojournalism, the Instagram feed for FCHS Journalism, found that 19% of FCHS students prefer Instagram, 36% prefer TikTok, and 45% prefer Snapchat.

A survey conducted in April by Pew Research found that 55% of U.S. teens say they spend the “right amount” of time on these apps, while 36% say they spend “too much” time on them. Over half of teens, 54%, say that it would be somewhat hard to give up social media, while the other 46% say it would be easy. About 48% of 13-14 year-olds say giving up social media would be difficult for them. Meanwhile, the share of teens who say they are online “constantly” has doubled since 2014-15, with 46% of teens say thaey use social media “constantly.”

Leave a Comment
About the Contributor
Photo of Breelyn Boucher
Breelyn Boucher, Journalist

Breelyn is in 10th grade and is in her first year of Journalism. She enjoys drawing, art of any kind, and writing. She also has a pet bearded dragon (Olive)...

The Fluco Beat • Copyright 2023 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Fluco Beat Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *