Photo Courtesy to the Fluvanna County High School Facebook page

Greenhouse Sale for a Good Cause

April 28, 2017

Ever since the FCHS greenhouse was built in September of 2013, the Agriculture class has been having annual greenhouse sales in the fall and spring to raise money for the program. Although the greenhouse has been open for sales between 9 am and 4 pm weekdays for several weeks, they also sales hours on select Saturdays. The dates for this year’s Saturday sales are April 29, May 6, and Mother’s Day weekend (unless they sell out before one of these days).

The first sale, which is this Saturday, is always the busiest because people know that once an item is sold out, they will not be able to get it for prices which are far below what you’d buy at local garden centers like Fluvanna Hardware, Mulch Monkeys, and Lowes.

The items being sold at the sale consist of a variety of vegetables and flowers. “We have different types of vegetables, like tomatoes, for sale,” said Junior Nicole Dickman. Six-packs of flowers or vegetables are $2, hanging baskets are $10, and flat containers are $15.

According to Agriculture teacher Russell Jennings, the greenhouse sale raises a couple of thousand dollars each year. The profits go to buying back resources (seeds, pots, etc.) that the greenhouse lost in the sale, while any extra funds go to (Future Farmers of America) to fund their events and state competitions.

In fact, the FFA group is also known in the community for their apple butter sales in the fall, and recently started raising chickens outside the greenhouse and will be selling their eggs.

For more information, contact Russell Jennings at [email protected].